Trend Spotlight: Desert Boots
Shoes are, arguably, one of the most (if not the most) important part of your outfit. Not only do they serve a practical function–protecting you from the elements, amongst other things–but they also have the added bonus of making a strong statement about your style. Shoes are one of the first things that will catch the eye of the opposite sex, and they’re one of the biggest things that can make or break your look (and that second date you’re trying to swing).
There are your fancier varieties, like your oxfords and your brogues. On the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got stylishly-crafted trainers and loafers. But what do you wear when an outfit or an event warrants a level of formality that falls somewhere in the middle? The answer, gentlemen, is the desert boot (also known as the chukka).
Why They’re Great:
- They’re perfect for everyone, and they’re a great wardrobe investment, regardless of whether you’re a style guru or a sartorial newbie
- They look exceptionally good regardless of whether you dress yours up or down
- They’re offered in a wide variety of colors and materials (suede and leather being the most popular) and at a wide range of price points
- They’re not going out of style (at least, according to us, not any time soon)
How to Style:
Desert boots lend themselves nicely to being worn with cuffed (or uncuffed) chinos and denim. We paired this taupe suede version from Clarks with olive green chinos and a short-sleeved button up shirt for an everyday look, and completed it with casual accessories.
The Shoe: Clark’s Desert Boot, $130
Leather desert boots look exceptional and unexpected when worn with more formal pants. We chose a burgundy variety to highlight the reddish brown tones in this desert boot from Urban Outfitters. Finish off the business casual look with a gray button up, a coral cotton tie, and a distressed leather watch.
The Shoe: Hawkings McGill Leather Desert Boot, $69
Latest posts by RJ Firchau (see all)
- Men’s Socks: The Quintessential Guide Take the GM's quiz to find your fit - November 8, 2018
- 11 Cold Weather Jackets Under $200 Fall and winter coats that won't break the bank - December 5, 2017
- Hair Terminology: How to Tell Your Barber Exactly What You Want Learn to speak your stylist's language and you'll never leave disappointed again - October 3, 2017